Thursday, January 19, 2006

Return to Earth


Assalam-o-alaikum!

Alhamdolillah, this Saturday, I returned from Hajj... and what a trip it was! I had never thought one little week could pack such a variety of emotions and events. I visited new places, met new people and learnt some good lessons for life. It may all sound bookish but really, I think, everything about Hajj this year was extra-ordinary!

Alhamdolillah, each and every step of the Hajj itself went smoothly and each has many stories attached with it... I can't wait to get started on the details. As a result of my Hajj this year, I've got much advice for those intending to perform next year... and for the general public, I've got this to say: If you're intending to perform Hajj anytime soon, you'd better go for it now, while you're strong and healthy. Don't wait for your bones to creak because, believe me, it takes a sound and healthy person to perform Hajj. I always marvelled at the stamina and spirit of elderly men and women, leaning on their walking sticks, and walking miles upon miles during Hajj.

Right now, I'm packing because I'm leaving for Karachi in the evening, inshAllah. These past few days were all spent in sleeping and fighting off flu germs and throat infections so I didn't feel like writing anything. InshAllah, from Karachi, I'll be telling you about my Hajj. Interestingly, I kept a journal but as soon as we reached Mina to start Hajj, I found no time to keep up with it.

Really, it's an out-of-the-world experience... literally! You forget that there exists a world outside the Haram area (Makkah, Mina, Arafat... etc.), you forget about world events and the people you share your tent with become almost like family.

Time to leave Tabuk again... Assalam-o-alaikum!

5 comments:

Asmaa said...

Welcome back. May Allah accept your intentions and actions for this hajj. Ameen.

I hope you had a good experience. When I make the trip (InshaAllah!), you'll need to give me some tips :)

Nauman said...

I'll consult with you as well when I go in the near future, inshallah.

Ameera said...

Sure, Insh'Allah! I've got loads of tips... well, not loads... but quite a lot of them anyway.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to post at all... first days at Med. University aren't easy, especially with all those new faces, new friends to make, classes to keep up with.

InshAllah, I'll start work on the Hajj story tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Salaams Dr. Haji

Congratulation, May Allah (s.w.t.) accept your hajj & prayers. I hope all of us were among your prayers too :-)

I'm sure you'll do excellent in med school. All the best!

yo random, were you not finding a husband just to take you to hajj tsk tsk 'and to think he thought I married him for his looks' a quote I seem to recall ;-)
Good luck with both of them, perhaps Dr. Haji can give us some tips on both hajj & marriage :-D

intense 'feeler' said...

welcome back and mubarakbad. waiting to read ur experiences!!