Thursday, January 05, 2006

Labbayk! Allahumma labbayk!

I remember a time
When I was small
Trembling in step
Two feet tall

But now that I have
Grown to strength
I raise my head
And question God

Have I forgotten miracles
All around me
And of which
I too was?

My purpose is not life
Nor to give life itself
Nor to serve man
Or to serve myself

All these I do
When I worship God
In my surrender to Him

I am of service to all

------------------------------------------------

Assalam-o-alaikum!

It’s finally here. The day we leave for Hajj is finally here, Alhamdolillah. We’ve been busy packing all day, putting together necessary things at the last moment. It’s weird how important things keep popping up when you’ve got your hands busy with a dozen different things. In fact, my sister wrote about it too at her blog, Milk-n-Cookies!

The fact that we’re going by road makes preparation for the journey a little easier because our car (a remodeled 1986 Mercedes station wagon) can pack most of the tiny ‘bits and pieces’ associated with travel. Thus, taking along spare blankets and mats isn’t much of a problem.

My journal will be with me at all times, inshAllah, to record every step of the journey and when I return, I’ll try to post them here as soon as possible. Although I have already described, in short, the changing landscape between Madinah and Tabuk, I’ll probably do it again… every journey on that old road feels like a first to me.

We’re leaving in the morning, as soon as my father comes back from Fajr prayers. We hope to be on the highway when the sun begins to peep out from behind rolling sand dunes. From Tabuk to Madinah where we intend to stay the night, and on Saturday morning, inshAllah, it’s off to Makkah in Ihram.

I must also add here that I’ll post the second part of my previous post (The New Pakistan) after I return next Saturday, inshAllah. I was surprised to see much reaction and it is true, Faraz Ahmed, that discussion on such a topic is impossible at a blog. However, I am not expressing hatred for the sake of hatred but I wish to shed light on a matter that, like it or not, truly goes against the tenets of Islam. Like Faraz bhai said, what good is our faith if we squash our conscience and trample over our morals in search of progress?

On that note, I’m off. The journey that most Muslims dream of all their lives is right before me, Alhamdolillah. I do not know what this week will bring except that it will certainly be the experience of a lifetime. InshAllah, I hope to return with a clear vision for the future and a blank slate of deeds! Remember me in your prayers as I remember you in mine.

Assalam-o-alaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barakatohu!

----------------------------------------------------
A sad incident was reported on TV today. A hotel building in Makkah collapsed shortly after Zuhr prayers. It was thought, at first, that a helicopter had crashed into the building but the last news makes no mention of a helicopter. The facts will, no doubt, unfold in the coming time. There have been several deaths, mostly
Egyptians. The victims were all pilgrims… may Allah grant them Paradise! Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajioon! To Allah we do belong and to Him is our return!

3 comments:

Frazza said...

May Allah make your journey safe and accept your Hajj insha-Allah. Make du'a for all of us!

Asmaa said...

Ameera, may Allah accept your Hajj. You're very fortunate to be making this journey...I hope that it's an amazing and life-changing experience for you. InshaAllah.

Frazza said...

As soon as you get access back to a computer, let us know how you are doing! I know so many people gone for Hajj this year; I haven't heard back from them whether everyone is okay after the stampedes yesterday.

May Allah grant Jannah to all those who lost their lives during the Hajj.

Innalillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.