Monday, November 21, 2005

Dow Medical College, DMC

Assalam-o-alaikum!

I checked the DUHS (Dow University of Health Sciences) merit list today at 10 am... Alhamdolillah, I was on the list at number 12! Finally, Alhamdolillah... years and years of education, from K.G. to seconday school, culminate in admission into University.

The medical colleges that come under the head of DUHS are Dow Medical College (DMC) and Sindh Medical College (SMC). Both has 219 seats each, under the category of 'open merit'. So, if your merit score (10% of lower seconday result + 40% higher secondary result + 50% admission test) gives you a rank of under 219, you get into Dow, and if you get a rank between 220 and 438, you get into SMC. That makes up the 438 seats for Open Merit.

The advantages of the Open Merit, or simple 'merit', category are multiple, most importantly, your tuition fee is greatly reduced... around Rs 12000 per year (Just $200 a year!) compared to the regular fee Rs 2 lakh for a government college ($ 3333) and around Rs 4 to 5 lakh ($6666-8333 a year) for private medical colleges. You can now see why everyone wants to get in on open merit into a government college!

Anum and Saima both Alhamdolillah, got a merit score that enabled them to be eligible for SMC! Both were obviously hoping for Dow, but if out of 4000 students, you are ranked on 266 (Anum) and 277 (Saima), I think that's worthy of a standing ovation!

The final merit list will be issued in a few days and during this time, any complaints brought forward by candidates will be addressed.

Alhamdolillah, despite various odds, we cousins now have a seat each in the medical colleges and as for the distribution of the seats, some in DMC and some in SMC, there will be, inshAllah, betterment. I may sound like the wrong person to be saying this, getting into Dow myself, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that, Alhamdolillah, all thanks to Allah, we have been spared the wait of another year... and should be thankful to get a place... where so many others haven't been able to this year. There must be so many girls and boys like us who wished so much to get admissions, and I know many too, and we must be sincerely and truly thankful to Allah for giving us this chance to make our dreams come true. As for our destiny, it will be for the better, inshAllah.

This is a stepping stone in our lives, another turn, another page... if you look at the true logic and reasoning behind this, you would realise that the goal remains as it is, even for those who failed to get admission... the goal of the Hereafter. Whatever you do, whether you eventually become a doctor, engineer, teacher, etc., you have to be a good Muslim, wherever you are!

Assalam-o-alaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barakatohu!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Masha'Allah great work!

Congratulations. You work hard & your Lord rewards you for it.

Good luck for the future Dr. Khan

Anonymous said...

forgot to mention that even the new Harry Potter flick came out (but being in Pakistan you must have seen it a week or 2 before ;)
So many good things all at once Masha'Allah you're lucky!

Now that you're a Dow gal, the guys must be lining up for your rishta!:D

Luck!

Frazza said...

Assalamu'alaykum,

Masha-Allah, 12th overall is really an outstanding achievement! And Hajj on top of that! You remind me of me at this time last year, where everything just went so perfectly after I made intention for Hajj. May Allah continue to bless your life and grant you the best of akhirah and dunya.

intense 'feeler' said...

buhat buhat mubarak!

Nauman said...

Mubaarak Ameera... 12th overall is very impressive though I'm not surprised. Dr. Ameera Khan has a nice ring to it... as does Dr. Anam Abbasi and Dr. Saima Siddiqui...

You know what the best part about this you three gaining entry into medical colleges? Inshallah, whenever I come to Pakistan and I get ill, I can simply see any one of you three doctors and avoid all the hassles... and no, I'm not joking, I'm very serious. :)

Ameera said...

Assalam-o-alaikum!

Jazak'Allah for all your kind words and comments! :D But I better stop reading them because my head in inflating fasted than a balloon.

Alhamdolillah, I was able to make 12th position, and I know how much work I put into it... very little. Most of the past few months, I spent in learning more and more about Islam. Alhamdolillah, I feel like I'm getting immediate results here in this world. :) Faraz Bhai, I agree with you 101% on that... Alhamdolillah, with the correct focus, things start untangling themselves... the road ahead becomes clear. :)

As for Harry Potter IV, I did watch it two days back with my cousins :P... could have been better, acting definitely took a downside in this one. :(

Btw, Nomi Bhai, you're right... too many doctors in the family then, inshAllah. But that means, you'll have to come to Pakistan in 2010, when we graduate. Sneaky :)

'Intense feeler' and Hajera, great to see you both a my humble blog! :)

Assalam-o-alaikum!

Anonymous said...

LOL! finally Ameera puts her comments. I was wondering what happened to Ameera it's been so long & she did not comment on her own blog

Has Dr. Khan become too good for us?

Yes you'll graduate in 2010 but once you're in, you're in so have fun!

Ameera said...

Oooopss... sorry! I was a little late this time. Actually, I'd written out a good long comment once but didn't save it. There was some error on the webpage, and I lost it! :(

Sorry, won't be late in the future. Dr Khan has lots of time! >:(

Thanks for the comment about the long five years ahead. Why don't you write your name? :D

Ameera said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

btw are you becoming a doctor or a dentist?

Ameera said...

DDs, I'm going to become the doctor with the stethoscope, something I had been vehemently opposing, in favor of dentistry, for years! :S

Anonymous said...

Established in 1997, St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance is a leading education consultancy services providing exemplary service to students all over India. We deal in Admissions to all major professional courses in Premier Institutes across India. We are your one step solution for all career related needs, it may be MD, MBBS BE, BTech (ALL BRANCHES), , MDS, BDS, BPharm, BArch, MBA, MTech, MS, , PhD or any other courses. We provide personalized career solutions on an individual basis keeping in mind the aspirations of our client as well as the affordability factor.
FOR ALL CAREER RELATED NEEDS CONTACT US :
St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance,
#2, 2nd Floor,
J J Complex, Above Chemmannur Jewellers,
Marthahalli - P O,
Bangalore - 560037
Karnataka
e-mail :jojishpaily@gmail.com
Contact: +91 9448516637
+91 9886089896, +91 9449009983
080-32416570, 41719562